R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Factory Team TC4 from RCX
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 03:04 PM
JevUK
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ortiz
Juho L. seems to have no problem going fast with this car. I don't seem to have any problem either. My car actually stunned everyone this weekend when it weighed in at 52.8 oz.(No dremel work, and I still use the Battery brace) So I was illegal! But it's cool because our track doesn't really check weight, and I know some others were light as well.

Anyway, not only did I TQ , I also managed to get the fastest 5 min run on the track so far.

So if you don't like the car, dont waiste your precious time reading up on it!!
Well congratulations to you and Juho, I'm sure you both drove well. But I don't think that has much to do with this discussion. All sorts of cars win and lose races ever week, doesn't mean they are perfect...

Now it feels like I'm banging my head against a wall here, the tc4 is way too heavy. I don't know what cells, servo, receiver, esc, transponder and bodyshell you were using but they must be very light.

These days you can weigh the car with a personal transponder so that adds weight. I'm using the novak brushless but will be upgrading to the nosram and they are both a bit heavier than a brushed combo. Also the ib3800 cells are around 40g heavier than gp3300. So I need a nice light chassis to get me to the weight limit or below. So far I'm at 1545g with gp3700, but would like to run ib3800 in the future. I'm using the plastic outdrives that wear out after a few meetings . Titanium tie rods, titanium ball joints. The old hollow center shaft. Alloy and titanium screws. About the only things left to get are titanium turnbuckles and driveshaft axels.

Originally Posted by Joe B
.....or just an advantage for the associated team drivers who couldn't obviously do enough with the other design's limitations and weren't allowed to run drastic aftermarket changed cars.......oh..oh...I know the answer J/K........
Good point. The ultimate question has to be, how much is it going to be? Because this kit is going to be very comparable to a hpi pro4, but will it have the right price too?

Originally Posted by dgr81bm
JevUk heres an option: dont crash then you wont have to worry about buying parts.
You miss read my post and got things mixed around. Your comment should of been aimed at soviet. I said that I can't remember the last time I broke a part :

Originally Posted by Soviet
Actually if any of you thought like an engineer you would realize just why that would be a poor idea anyhow. If you were to break a tower and possibly a mount, you then would have to buy a $10.00 box cover as opposed to just a $2.00 tower mount.
Originally Posted by TPhalen
Could we have made it lighter?? I'm sure we could, but to make something lighter (for this example, a one-piece gearbox/shock tower mount) means MORE expense for us...new tooling, new testing, etc...meaning MORE cost for you. Our 'bolt-on' tower mount is pretty inexpensive (in relation to a one-piece unit) and might make the car a teensy-bit heavier, but is that a problem to you if you don't have to PAY much more??? Cost is a big issue here. Notice ALL the dual-deck CF cars are so much more expensive???? It's not cheap to make one of these cars so cost is a BIG issue for us. It's just our time to make one...even if it IS following the release of other conversion kits.

As far as the battery situation, I think EVERYONE is wondering what to do about that! You can only make a car SO light....with the addition of those heavier cells to ANY vehicle, I guess adding weight to the opposite side is just gonna have to be the answer.
I understand you position on keeping cost down. But this is going be the flag ship ae kit that will be taking on all the worlds car at the highest and most competitive class of model car racing for years to come. I feel you didn't quite pull out all the stops when developing the kit. Personally I don't think there was a need for the carbon fibre shock mount at all, so you could of saved money and probably weight by not developing it. If I get the upgrade, I probably won't use them. I'm glad you agree on the weight balance becoming a serious problem