R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Question on Inductance
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 05:23 PM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
But none of that states why a higher inductance would be better for a given resistance value. IE, let's say I have two different 21.5s with the Roar limit on resistance, 55.5 55.5 55.5 milliohms on the phases. One has inductance of 59.4 59 58.4 microhenries and the other has inductance of 49.7 48.5 48.5 microhenries across the phases. Both of these motors have been released in the last 5 years and both motors are very good motors for their time. Fantom says the motor with the higher inductance will be the better motor. I'm trying to reason out why that would be. However if I listed the models of each of these motors, the overwhelming response would be that the lower inductance motor would be the better motor.

That Wiki is some heavy reading...
Actually it kind of does. "the amount of windings determine the magnetism strength" plus "the amount of windings determine the inductance" gives "the amount of windings determine the inductance and magnetism strength". You want magnetism strength. You don't want resistance. So that stands to reason that reducing the resistance without reducing the magnetism strength/inductance is a good thing.

Originally Posted by trilerian
Edit: So it does seem that I reasoned out that inductance is back emf or causes it.
Edit: What is the frequency? Is this the PWM frequency?
Back EMF is caused by a spinning magnet (rotor) inside a coil (stator).
Frequency is whatever is changing the input current. Both PWM frequency and motor RPM will be relevant frequencies here, since the stator phases are energising and de-energising on each rotation.

Strictly speaking it's not the inductance that makes the stator better. But some of the factors that make the stator better also tends to increase the inductance.

You mention two different models of motors though. Stator length is another factor in performance. Generally shorter stators perform better but their inductance is lower. When Fantom said that a higher inductance stator was better, they were probably talking about comparing two of the same model. The longer stator will likely have higher resistance, you didn't actually specify what their resistances were, you just said they were above the ROAR limit.