R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:48 PM
glennhl
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
For me flex tuning has a big effect. Whether xray, awesomatix, mugen. I am still not understanding the physics in effect when the rear is allowed to flex more there is more rotation rather than added traction and vice versa.
OK think about what XrayRay just said. The more you load the outside tire the less traction you have for that pair of tires for the exact reason he stated. So you can't do anything about weight transfer in a corner. It's a function of the speed around the corner causing centrifugal force. The force acts on the CG of the car and depending on the CG height and the width (track) of the tires the weight of the car is transferred onto the outside tires and unloads the inside tires.

So what can you do? Well, you can either stiffen or soften the front or the back. The stiffer end will share more of the overall weight transfer than the soft end. So the stiffer end will have less traction than the soft end. Mind you, you can't just soften both ends thinking you will get more traction on both ends, it doesn't work that way. All you can do is move the traction from one end to the other. So if your car is loose, you can stiffen the front or soften the rear (or a combination of both) to move some of the traction from the front pair of tires to the rear pair. Now, the normal way a full size car does this is to either stiffen or soften a pair of wheels by changing the spring rate of the main springs and/or the anti-roll bars. On the A800 with a typical setup, the anti-roll bars provide 1/3 of the total wheel rate. So the main springs are a larger factor and the anti-roll bars are used for finer adjustments. Now, as far as chassis stiffness, this is even a finer adjustment. However, I just don't like using chassis stiffness to tune my car because it's not as controllable. I like to tune my car by changing out the main springs and/or anti-roll bars.

There is one more way to stiffen or soften the front and rear of the car and that's by changing the roll center. A lower roll center will be softer than a higher roll center. Again if you want to move traction from the front to the rear, raise the front roll center (stiffen) and/or lower the rear roll center (softer).

Good luck.