R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated B74.2 / B74.2D
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 04:59 PM
trf211
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
The only punch you could gain from gears would be going from metal to plastic. HTC to LTC is handling differences. At least as far as my understanding of how things work. Theres only 2 things changing, gear mesh/bind and metal vs plastic weight. Gear mesh/bind wouldnt change punch/accel only how the diffs react in corners. So its just weight.

You can find LTC and HTC gears easy enough by looking through AEs website. HTC come in the kit, so they are the plastic gears that have been available for years. LTC is the new stuff.
I recently switched from the old HTC plastic to the newer LTC plastic and the diffs end up 2g or so lighter each due to less milling on the back of the larger gears. Less oil, more plastic.

Maybe this explains the punch difference-
The LTC are so smooth in the center diff that to get an equivalent to 200k-500k HTC you would have to run 1m LTC. It's much easier to rebuild diffs with 200-500 than over 1m, that's why some guys stick with the old gears in the center. The LTC can bleed out power to the front wheels, atleast that's what I've understood from other drivers.