R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Life for an Old Telluride
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 07:10 AM
OSRC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And back to the Crawler...

Been chipping a bit at this one... finally figured something out with the rear lights and bumper. I'd like some sort of bumper back here, but this will do for now.

And did a shock change - front TRX4 shocks and rear AE Maxx shocks laid down as much as possible. After playing with the basher, I really liked the standard springs/GTS shock combo, it was far more plush than the Axial junk I had on here so I copied it. I added the longer Associated shocks out back for a bit more travel.

And a few trail run pics...I made some video, but apparently I cannot drive coherently and film at the same time. Not sure if I'll post it up or what.. In any case, this independent suspension basher crawls as well as anything I've got. It's not a comp crawler of course, but it is for sure better than an out of the box solid axle rig. I ran into a guy with a new bone stock Capra 4WS RTR and we ran a few lines for a while. While he certainly had much more steering than I did, that was his only benefit. I had a much, much lower COG and wider stance, with the same center clearance.

Wrenching on the test rock...it has a nice flat off to the left - perfect for tuning and a great spot to test your truck. I spend a lot of time here.... I played with camber a bit and ended up swapping the springs front to rear.

Stable, predictable, and capable. Really, I'm shocked at how well this got around - went over all my test areas with flying colors.

Ran for about 45 minutes and decided to switch over to the C-maxx... but definitely got some ideas for the next run. Thinking a rear swaybar is in order, it will help on off camber climbs. The tires were surprisingly good for SC tires, but they are not crawler tires for sure... there were a couple of spots where I could see I was lacking grip. Hmm... Also, the rear CVD's made some cracking sounds, but help up fine. Kind of expected that. Not a fan of the wider Slash suspension, it was great on side hills, but it just looks too wide to my eyes. Not sure what I want to do there yet.

On a side note, I assembled some of my leftover parts and a test mule of sorts... kinda went mediaeval on it! Bandit arms with a monoshock setup... interesting. Not sure if I'll use it, but there's some interesting potential here.