R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 01:01 PM
mugler
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ijdod
GL-Racing announced a new car: de GL-GTR. Looks like its, roughly speaking, a GT-like front with a GL-like back. It will be available in February

Hats off to GL, this car marks a big leap forward in general for the scale by intoducing arm ball joints & double bell crank to the front . much lower CG in the back with lowered & conventional top shock location and mid chassis side to side brace all also better on paper....lowered top shock should allow lowest avaiable height pan car body instalation ... in the current market with already many good choices this model checks a lot of desired new to this scale boxes. 28th scale 2WD being unique in on-road RC world with pan rear / TC front suspension combo and this car pushes that idea farthest its gone so far... I run a different brand and will be sticking with that but curious to see how this car will do.

Originally Posted by teh_fox_king

That's probably the most interesting thing I found out. Despite what a lot of people have told me, The GLR, is just simply amazing on asphalt. Coming from the larger classes, I'm shocked. Seriously. Get it off the RCP! Go outside, jack it up to max ride height and see if you don't have an absolute blast. Just SWEEP THE LOT FIRST!!! A pebble at full throttle and it will pull a 90 degree turn, into the curb. Also, get the front bumper, trust me.
For various and arguably obvious reasons I think RCP is a big part of what makes 28th scale special but since as I call it the "big-tack" subject has come up I can tell from first hand experience these cars work exceptionally well on both 10th scale carpet and aspohalt tracks surprisingly even if asphalt is slightly bumpy! On asphalt as good as the car drove with som e KS PN tires the ultimate performance was with foam tires but the rate of wear on foams is very high. Carpet track being always drenched with sauce from other cars cant go wrong with kyosho threaded tires and again also PN KS tires, cars drive as good as best pan cars.

At this time I think big track mini-z racing if persued woiuld be counter productive to expansion of the class by confusing and diluting the existing momentum that has picked up nicely but it should be something for big race event organizers and clubs or tracks to think about in the backgrounds as a possible variety option at some point in the future.