R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Philosophy in R.C
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 09:24 AM
mediumquick
Tech Apprentice

I’ve been racing little toy cars since the late 1970’s. Am now staring at 80 years of age. Ya know, racing is racing. How much money you spend, how much you can afford….all factor into what & who you are.

Why race? Ego boost, pure and simple.

But also to prove to yourself that you know how to build and set up one of these monsters. I love the mechanical part of the racing thing. Can I build and improve on what’s out there? Can I make a better handling car than the rest of the racers?

Can I improve on my performance? The old saying that nothing makes you faster that seat/track time is true. I’ve watched guys (guys/gals whatever) start out, not realizing that you have to get off the throttle to make the turn; buy a car that’s way too powerful for there experience level, yet they think ya gotta have all the power ya can get, and then someone who doesn’t have a 4T motor blow their doors off beating them with a 13.5T rig.

I had the pleasure of watching a young gal use patience in her driving, didn’t push to the inside and knock out a competitor, instead, waiting for them to screw up in the next turn (which they did) and now I can’t keep up with her or her brother (who is a little more aggressive) Yep, after more than 40 years of racing I’ve seen my skills diminish (and it is an eye opener, believe me), so now I have to deal with being a B main driver instead of being competitive in the A main. But at least I still have fun and enjoy the new level of competition. And, I can be happy knowing that maybe I had something to do with mentoring younger drivers.

So now I can be known as medium fast and that’s okay with me.