R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Philosophy in R.C
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 07:58 PM
swarf
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Philosophy in R.C

I've often thought our hobby/sport/discipline is inimitable. Unique. Unlike any other form of racing. Requiring all the skill, preparation, knowledge and talent of its full-size counterpart, while being utterly devoid of any of the glamour and elite athletism tag that typically accompanies it.

Like many of us, it bit me hard from the first moment I saw one. It was indelible. Magical. Being 4 at the time I knew neither of these words. But it stuck. I never forgot the miniature cars. Love is the most apt word that comes to mind. It accompanies all of my building, racing, practice, travelling, wrenching, reading and spending.

I'm not even especially good at it. But I can't get enough. First to arrive, last to leave. 42 this year, reflexes and eyesight declining fast.

What's the point? The punchline? Why am i wasting my time and yours posting sentimental drivel on the forums??

Well, I thought perhaps it could be a suitable moment to consider love.
It seems to me the most consistent and sustainable of motivators. It's why i keep racing.
Not to win, or feel dominant. It exercises my mind in a way nothing else ever has. It's complex, stressful, time-consuming and really really difficult.

It's humbling and highlights to me a parable of living in a most poetic and salient sense.

I only do well when I focus on my race and stop being insecure about winning or losing. It dictates how smooth and consistent I drive. People who race only to dominate drive in desperation, their cars look unstable, they make more mistakes and 5 minutes racing alongside a total stranger reveals more to me about their character than knowing and talking with them for years.

If they race fair and leave space, they're clearly people I want to be around. If they run me off the road when trying to pass or being passed, I know I'm dealing with an insecure, dysfuctional person and should avoid them- no matter how charismatic they might appear off-track.

It's these motivators that stand out so clearly on a racetrack that determine what kind of people we are; what kind of lives we lead and what we're likely to achieve before we die.

Some, - most, want only to dominate at any cost and grow angry, petty and cruel when they can't.

Others- far less commonly seek something greater and more meaningful.
In racing, in relationships, in life.