R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Info on new Sanwa
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 12:27 PM
BigBuckORamma
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cromulent
Are those servos that prevalent? The only ones for 1/10 off-road I found that had the speed, torque and size/weight specs I needed were Pro-Performance, and I couldn't get them to not shake in 2 different buggies.

Running my M17 with decent .06-.08s servos in SHR mode, I can't tell any difference in response between this radio system and my old NB4. If it wasn't for the Feeling setting on the M17, I'd probably go back to the land of $35 receivers and a decent UI But, I am just a mid-pack advanced level racer, so I have other priorities when on track than ultimate servo response.
Reef's, AGF, Rhino, and one other i cant think of, all have servos that are now compatible with SSR/SXR, and Futaba SR. Along with the aforementioned ProPerformance, and obviously the OEM First Party, Sanwa and Futaba Servos.

I personally use the ProPerformance servos, and the off center shake only happens if you dont have enough voltage goign through the BEC. Crank up the BEC, throw a larger cap onto the ESC, and hardwire your fans to the ESC power leads so they arent drawing down off the receiver bus power, and it will cut all of the on center jitter out of the Servo. To be fair, I have experienced the same thing on Futaba servos as well.

As for the benefits of SSR/SXR, the primary change is the way in which the signal and the power are delivered to the servo. And the immediacy with which the servo begins to react to the torque demand.

The best blind-ish test i have found, it to make two profiles on your radio. One with SXR, and one without. The Copy Profile feature is great for this. Then practice turn 1 entry after the straight. In most cases this is a "huck it in and pray" type of corner. Run the car without SXR for a pack. So you can get used to how the car turns in to turn one, and build up some muscle memory.

Then get a fresh pack, go back out for session 2 with SXR enabled. And take that same bonzai dive in to turn one. I can all but guarantee, you will be turning in too early, and will have to readjust your line mid corner to avoid the pipe. Because the initial turn in on the servo will be much sharper, and have more immediacy to it. From a purely static test, the total time delay from input to action may be the same in total delay, but the reaction of the servo will be much more linier with SXR, as opposed to "winding up" to speed like the standard digital servo mode. You can even hear a difference in the servo movement from one mode to the other.

If you want to make it a more truly blind test, have a buddy swap between the profiles for you, so you dont know which is which, and test it out. There is a difference there to be felt, more than you may think there is in general testing.

Interesting experiment worth playing with, just for giggles.