R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2022 IFMAR 1/8 IC Offroad Worlds
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Medic29358
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mickey_B
I would actually argue the later that Mayako is loosing customers as I have seen a couple kits go up for sale on here. Also, the Xray is $639.99 on RC America and the Mugen you can use coupon codes. Of course price is not the only factor people consider when buying an RC car. They look at the overall value, local support and parts availability. Apple charges a premium for the latest iPhone and people pay it no problem because they have broad differentiation. This generic strategy focuses on key features that differentiate the company and its information technology products from competitors.

When you look at the Mayako there is nothing unique or innovative that stands out on the buggy. It’s kinda like an Sworkz, works well and is a good kit but just doesn’t have anything that unique about it. They have the membership model, which is different and great for some racers. However this comes at a yearly cost and with purchase of a kit your looking at $1k to really get the full experience Mayoko.

Another interesting thing is I signed up to be an Horizon Elite member. So I get a 30 credit on my birthday, 30% off on Horizon Hobby merchandise, more points on purchases and the big one is free 2 day shipping. This means I can get parts on the fly and not have to stock a bunch along with tires and other things. I also get immediate support from Horzon which is cool.

I know Mayako has different business strategy, which is fine and at the end the day makes the industry more diverse. I think for me it boils down to what are you really gaining by running a Mayako because on price it’s more, part’s availability and local support is limited.

When is there ebuggy supposed to come out?
The overall value is different for everyone. Yes, Mayako is doing something different, and that will either interest people, or make them apprehensive. The Horizon membership is interesting and good for all things RC related and I’m sure that $130 pays for itself after a few orders.

The Mayako membership is totally different from what any company is doing. Its all been discussed before so I won’t go into that. But if someone has questions, feel free to ask.

What drew me to Mayako was the community that’s being built, and you don’t need to be a member to experience that. Maybe there aren’t a lot of people running them locally (yet) but we’re able to get online and chat with members live and get help when needed. As for parts availability, AMain is now selling parts, and the warehouse that ships from the Midwest has shipped parts to Californian in 2 days for a flat $9.99 shipping. I can’t even get parts from AMain that fast sometimes. So anyone who’s concerned about parts availability has nothing to worry about, in my opinion.

The kits that have gone up for sale on here have been from people who were happy with the car and their experience, but sold for other reasons, not because they weren’t happy. So don’t look at that as an indication of how good or bad the car is. Because it’s an amazing car. I think this last year has proven that.

If local support is important, I can understand that. In the end, we’re all going to run what we want for our own reasons. All I can say is research every brand and buy what makes you happy and supports your needs. 🤙

As for the Ebuggy, I haven’t heard an “official date” but I believe sometime late this year or early next.