R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Flywheel keeps coming loose
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 04:23 PM
petersen114
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Never use loctite, it is totally not needed and for sure never use anything else than blue on an RC car when needed.

There can be 3 things wrong.
1) you do not tighten the nut very well
2, there is something wrong with the cone.
3) you never pull the crankshaft out as much as possible and then move the cone against the front bearing. In this way the cone is locked up. If you do not there is a small gap behind the cone so the cone can move backwards and the whole system comes lose.

The cone where the flywheel is clamped on will clam itself in the flywheel due the taper and so clamp it self tight on the crankshaft
look from the side into the gap between the flywheel and and see if still a small edge of the cone is visible and see by pulling out the crankshaft the cone stay put against the front bearing.
As stated. I have never used lock-tire on a clutch nut. I know Adam Drake uses a mix of red and blue but over the past 35 years I have never used it as I haven’t needed it for a clutch nut. If properly tightened the collet will grab, if not then something is wrong as stated by Roelof. Not saying to not use it just that it isn’t necessary if everything is in order and not worn. The correct collet should be matched to the flywheel.