R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4TC SD
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
Well here is something you could probably convert to the LCG SD.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=418&id=4633

Oh and I know a guy who races his SDW everyweek and has not one thing broke cause it got into the gear boxes....
I like the open boxes it allows for a lighter and more free drive train...
Hope to see one real soon.....
Stephen <><

Cheers for the link!

I appreciate that machined alloy components can be made to finer tolerances than moulded composite, so alloy makes for more precise gear allignment, thus a more efficient transmission. However, open gearboxes simply aren't - nor ever will be - a fully satisfactory engineering solution on any type of car, for obvious reasons. And to be honest, there's no real reason why the gearboxes should be left open anyway.

The open gearbox look is certainly very distinctive and I see a 'trend' developing.

I suppose through chance alone, some people's SDWs will never swallow a stone or other foreign body through the gearboxes. But for others, it will happen - and sod's law dictates this will most likely occur during the most important race of the season!

I've always taken a belt & braces approach to racing and if I went and got an LCG SD, I'd definitely cover those gears up with lexan. Those Evo lexan gear covers could surely be adapted like you suggested?

Does anyone else here use lexan to cover up their gearboxes? If so - what do you use?