R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 buggy vs 1/10 SCT
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 06:34 PM
rhodesengr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/10 buggy vs 1/10 SCT

Hi guys. I could use some advice. I have a situation that is a little unusual (maybe). I belong to an RC flying club and a few years back we built a simple dirt track for RC cars. Interest has waxed and waned but seems to be getting more popular lately. We don't do actual, real racing but people have become aware that Truggies and SCT's don't mix very well. Most guys buy RTR SCT's like Traxxas but I like to buy better stuff. There has been a push have two basic classes: 2S and Open. I have two 1/8th scale buggies (a Serperent that I bought used and a Losi 4.0 that I built new). But I don't run them when we are running the 2S (mostly SCT's). I have a Losi Ten-SCBE RTR buggy that I run when the rest of them run the 2S SCT's. Its the same class power system but I seem to mostly smoke them.

My Ten-SCBE is OK and although I have upgraded some of it it, I don't want to buy anymore RTR cars. I am thinking about getting a 1/10 buggy like an Xray or Teckno kit. I recall a few years back that guys here told me 1/10 scale buggies like the Losi 22's were sort of fragile. We are pretty much a bunch of hacks so fragile won't do. I saw that Xray has a dirt version of their 1/10th scale buggy so that is the sort of thing I am looking at. So here are my questions:

Are 1/10th buggy kits (like Xray or Techo) fragile compared to SCT or 1/8 buggy? Being a bunch of hacks we tend to have a lot of collisions, flips, and cartwheeling. So fragile just won't do.

How would a 1/10 buggy tend to run against SCT's in terms of speed and power? I don't want to be too far ahead in terms of speed but I don't want to be too far behind either. I realize I could get an SCT kit but I just don't like the look of the SCT's. That's why I went with the SCBE years back. Its an SCT chassis and power system with a buggy body. I know the 1/10 buggies are a little shorter wheel base.

Hope this all makes sense. I wish they'd all get 1/8 buggies but the trend doesn't seem to be in that direction. So I would like a 2S buggy kit to run with 2S SCT.