R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray X1 front indepndent disc brakes
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 01:47 PM
mikeylama
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
Hey - it's your topic, wander away

I agree with your CNC router definition, in my limited experience, the majority of CNC routers have been 2 axis, what I have heard described as 2 1/2D. For the dominate store bought machines a 3rd axis are available, but I rarely see one. I need to look into an upgrade.
2 axes cnc router would be a laser engraver. Anything else, that has to physically touch the raw stock, has to be able to control height(Z axis). The 2.5 Axis routers are also 3 axis machines, but simultaniously only 2 axis can be moved. True 3 axis cnc machines can be moved along their X Y and Z axes simultaniously.

Back to topic. I've purchased the material for the bathtub for the carbon sheet in wich I can mill out the tiny carbon fiber parts required. Hopefully my 8mm ER11 collet arrive next wek, and I can hog out the bed, so, next week's excitements will be carbon routing, and me creating some brake discs. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, some teasing of the toolpaths:
Most of the operations can be done by only 2 setups, wich is immensely lucky. However, the trick is to get the origin within 0.01mm of the previous one. I need a 3d digital edge finder badly

toolpath for the lower caliper

toolpath for the hub