R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 11:02 AM
YBSLOW
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Looks to me that Frank lowered the pivot point and thus lowered the roll center which will give the rear tires more traction. If you want to raise the roll center, just put shims under the pivot assembly and that will give you less rear traction. Frank knows exactly what he's doing.

EDIT: Even though this photo does have two shims under the Pivot Mechanism, the design of the horizontal versus the old vertical pivot ball lowers the ball down so that your adjustment range includes a much lower roll center than before. And the main point was that the statement "Higher roll center is lowering the pivot, sort of backwards of what it sounds like" is not correct when it comes to a pod design with a pivot point. Lower the pivot to lower the roll center. Now if you were talking about the standard suspension design that uses two A arms, you would be correct. On that design if you raise the inside pivot of the top arm you actually lower the roll center.

Final thing is I've attached a video from Alexander Hagberg on the X12. The X12 has a very similar pivot design as the new CK25AR. Go to the 5 minute mark and he says, we have a new rear pivot design which mounts a lot lower which lowers the roll center. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jC8UWJKgYk

I was told by CRC that the new pivot is 2mm lower roll center than the previous car when the kit setup three .5mm shims are installed. So with no shims it would be 3.5mm lower.