R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best kit for 2021
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 09:43 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by captain america
I suspect the Predator's reliability issues could've been largely solved by having more conventional (or monocoque) suspension arms and chassis/gearbox/suspension as all separate (modular) components; more like today's cars. The problem with that 1-piece composite tub was that any damage to, or stripping of any one of those three integrated components meant having to replace the whole chassis. I suspect they could've achieved the same geometry by more conventional means: not as cool looking, but more reliable.
I agree 100%. Effectively, the lower part of the transmission case was built into the moulded, composite chassis. It was very strong, light and all the rest of it - but essentially, once the screws started to strip the threads, the entire chassis would need to be replaced or modified.

The gears were notoriously prone to stripping, though on all the modern shaft driven buggies, this isn't an issue - clearly it was a material/design issue.

The shocks on the Pred were small. Progressive springs worked really well, but even so, on rutted, gnarly tracks, the suspension would be overwhelmed. The car was generally setup so low as to ride on the underside of the chassis anyway!

The suspension arms were very low profile and aero-dynamic - just like a F1 car. Compared to modern buggies though, the arms were quite short. They were also vulnerable to anything and everything. To finish first, first you have to finish. Much as I loved my example, it would break easily - sometimes just by looking at it the wrong way.

Technically I owned 2 preds because my first one was stolen by the courier.

Mounting of the shocks on 1/8: I think it can still be done. On the front, you can actually fit them longitudinally in that space between the steering servo and the fuel tank, right over the front brace, and possibly connect them to the center diff top plate. You'd have to re-shape the fuel tank slightly and put the lid further outboard, but it could be done. For the rear, the shocks might have to be mounted transverse (just like the Pred) to avoid too much heat transfer from the header, but there's definitely room.
If they could pull a design like that off, without resorting to using undersized shocks - I'd buy one just to look at!