R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best kit for 2021
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM
captain america
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckland
I don't know if they'd be able to fit pred/MRO style inboard shocks with cantilevers, so I'm expecting to see something more along the lines of 1/8 onroad suspension with shorter shocks laid way down. Not sure how they'll be able to get it work, but glad they are trying (if it's real)!
I seem to remember reading (or watching) something not too long ago about how 16mm shocks seem to be the "sweet spot" for 1/8 buggies because of the way the suspension is solicited and how you want just big enough to have sufficient oil to soak-up the heat, but not so big as to slow the rebound effect... Don't quote me on that. All that to say that smaller shocks might solve one problem but cause another.

There was a car back in the 90s called the Tenth Technology Predator (1/10 4WD electric buggy) that used an inboard F1-style suspension. The cars were stupid fast, but a bit on the fragile side... And pretty expensive too, from what I remember. They proved that you could have lay-down shocks and be competitive, so here's to hoping some of that know-how finds its way into 1/8 buggies.