R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XRC Ernie Provetti Interview: Your thoughts
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Jeel
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I know many who frequent these boards have been racing for a long time and/or are serious about attending the larger races regionally and possibly national/worldly and I respect all of your insights as to what would most benefit you as a racer.

My biggest concern with RC racing goes out to the average RC track and it's ability to keep up. Step outside the realm of the small percentage of tracks that actually get 50 plus racers per weekly club race and you are on very different playing field. Just look at the number of classes that exist, as well as the number of classes within classes!

The one thing that I believe could most benefit RC racing, in my honest and very humble opinion, is the reduction in the number of classes...which will probably never happen due to the ever-changing cycles our hobby endures. We are not talking annually either! One month everyone is all about sedan, another 8th scale, and next month monster trucks are taking over...wait truggies are up, here comes 18th scale! When the hell does it end?

For the small tracks, which I honestly feel outnumber the larger tracks, although they unfortunately come and go so quickly, keeping up is nearly impossible. Walk into one regional track and all they race is stadium truck, another oval, and another monster trucks? How can the average racer keep up and or race against more competition when everyone is on different fields?

For example, race motocross bikes in New England or California...same damn classes, different organizations! One could race in Texas for a big race on one weekend and race in Nebraska the next…all on the same bike! (Obviously exaggerated, but you get the point) Try road bike racing or mountain biking...again same classes, same equipment. Plus, both of the sports mentioned have more participants than RC racing!

I guess my rant just goes to show my experiences in this hobby over the past 4 years. A lot of laughs and fun, but at the same time much more buying, selling and keeping up with the current trends than I care for.

One last note, to quote Ernie “So the investment now is $280 rather than $120”, in regards to racing brushless stock. So I ask all of you, how many truly spent only $120 to race stock? Last time I checked, most racers drop $140 for a speedo, $30 for a motor (although we all have more than 1 stock motor, don’t we?), $120 for lathe, and $5 (per race) on a set of brushes.

See you at the track!

Last edited by Jeel; 05-11-2005 at 05:33 PM.