R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Servo wire exposed
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
clmbia45
Tech Regular

Default Re: Servo wire exposed

Originally posted by performula
After running my car this weekend I noticed that my throttle servo wire got pinched in my battery holder and went through the wiring. The only wire effected of the three was the black negative wire. It almost wore through the metal wire. Is there a way to fix this or will the servo be OK?
Well, you have another issue. The black wire is carrying the negative power to the servo. The wires are the size they are for a good reason: it takes this size of wire running the original length, to carry the maximum current draw of the servo, plus a "safety factor". If too many strands are cut, the wire will over heat, and burn out. You have, IMO, three choices:
1. Open up the servo and solder a replacement lead to the circuit board. Not a problem if you have a small soldering iron and a steady hand.
2. Cut and clean the damaged wire and splice the ends together. You can solder them, but they must then be protected from flexing or it will break at the wire/solder border.
3. Cut all the wires at the damaged area and swedge on a new connector. Of course the wire has to be long enough to reach.

If more than a 1/3 of the strands are cut, I would not continue to use the servo without one of the above fixes.