R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - **Tire compounds-sauce/prep**
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 03:39 AM
Funkydrummer1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
If it’s 4 seconds then that’s one mistake. If you can come back from that then you need to move up a class. The best guys I’ve raced with make no mistakes. My point being if you’re getting marshaled 2x a race then you need to work on your driving and not your tires. Everyone thinks that tire prep is king. BS. Driving Is king. I saw a National top ten drive a borrowed 21.5 car to laps that were 1 second better than 17.5 lap times. Until you can run 5 minutes at full race pace and not make a mistake then you’re wasting your resources IMO.
I dont quite understand how tire prep, at least in the past decade, is NOT king in indoor 1/10 offroad. Ive heard Rivkin, Maifield and Tessman make specific comments on how, at least at the tip top level of rc racing, that the difference is in the tires and how you prep them..The Tessmans had to learn all the tire sauce "rituals" early in their career, so they struggled a bit..They were a mostly 1/8 nitro team.
I'm not trying to argue with ya. I totally understand and agree that driving is first and foremost. But if, because saucing has become the standard at most tracks, your tires aren't at where everyone else's are, your not going to have pace with the top guys.
I really wish we could do away with sauce. Not because its somewhat "toxic" and it smells like crap. Although there are non toxic, less odorous substitutes that seem to work well, but because its just a pain in the ass. Also, it seems the racing would be more, uh, off- roady, if you will..
But on the other hand, if you take away sauce, the lap times get higher, guys aren't going as "fast", do they quit because its not the style of racing they're used to?