R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into onroad after a 15 years iatus: looking for chassis recommandation
Old 02-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I may have misunderstood your needs here - Are you looking to race at the track or just run laps in practice? If racing, you are pretty much limited to the classes they already run. So that will set some pretty solid limits on what you can buy. If they run a touring car class and that is what you want to run, a used x-ray is a great place to start. You can even go back a few years and still be very competitive. Any T4 2018 and up still has great parts support and will be easy to find on the used market.

If they don't run touring car, and you want to race, then you will need to see what they run and get their input on a good setup.

If you just want to practice, then you can get whatever you want. I don't personally run 1/10th pan car, but from what I have heard, that would be a great place for a beginner. Cars aren't terribly expensive. They are pretty quick and easy to drive and simple to work on.

I would steer clear of a TT01/TT02 unless that class is specifically one you want to race in. They are cheap to get started, but upgrades can get expensive and in the end, you still have a TT0x. I started in the TT class and hated it. However, I was on low grip carpet with tight track boarders, and any unplanned meetings with the track barriers would send parts flying. I spent more on upgrades to get the car durable then I did on the car itself. Your, and other people's experience may be different, but I personally would not recommend a TT to anyone that plans on racing unless that car is specified for the class.