R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher F1
Thread: Schumacher F1
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
If you are using Pits use a 3mm wide bearing on the inside of the front wheel (instead of the standard 4mm) and put the washers on the outside of the wheel, that makes it the correct width. It is described in the setup section of the manual.
I'm the other local guy... I had fun Saturday.

Edit: found it 4* is 75.7mm (I'm missing the caster setting: 73.2mm as measured from where?) I set the angle on the kingpin to 6* then took it down to 4* using a camber gauge and no load on the front end, wheels off. I was grip/traction rolling on very high grip carpet, but that was mostly due to tire prep. I'll be ordering some narrow bearings and a few extras to get to legal width. I wish I'd found the setup sheet prior to the first run. I was way soft on center damping and could have used a stiffer spring in the rear. For some reason the side dampers felt over damping with the kit fluid and the car did not want to settle coming out the corner. Wiping off some fluid helped. I'll be trying 7k and 10k at the next outing. Dan was a big help with the brainstorming post race. The surface was very bumpy so I after racing I did notice log of buildup on the rear of the chassis, so I have since raised the whole car 1mm. I'll need to check my GT12 parts for a stiffer rear spring to match Andy's setup.

To those asking about the front end, it is exactly like the original F102/F103 Tamiya fixed front end, but with Caster adjustment. I used to shave the center of my F103 front ends to get 2* camber. Caster was never adjustable.

My review: This car is an absolute pleasure to build. Everything fits perfectly. Adjustments are very easy not just to perform, but to understand. This will be a great car for both novices and hard core racers to build and work on. Performance and durability are exceptional. The rear stays planted once you have it set up properly for your track. The front end with with the mass damper never hops or skips around the corner. I have had a Supastox, a Supastox GT and an Atom in the past and this car runs in that lineage. It is a great design.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 12-07-2020 at 10:44 AM.