R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Home made Batteries very hot during charging!
Old 11-20-2020, 02:01 AM
makehobbyrc
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Since the cells are rated at twice the capacity of the original cells, given the same charge rate from that charger, yes, it should theoretically take twice as long to charge given that they are rated at twice the capacity. That being said, the commenter above is correct. You might want to invest in a reasonable smart charger. Most LiPo chargers that I’ve seen out there have a NiMh mode, so I’d say shop around for one that suits your need and budget.

As for the heat, you might want to see if it’s the whole pack or any specific cells in the pack you built. There might be either a bad cell in there, or maybe a bad solder joint that is producing resistance, hence heat. A half-decent smart charger might even monitor resistance while charging to let you know if it’s a problem with the pack or not.
Great thanks! It is the hole lot of the cells in the pack that heats a lot! Concerning charger.. I have Li-Po charger, but for 7.4v... I suppose I can't and SHouldn't use that for my 6v battery packs... Will have to invest... to do that properly...