R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mission FT - S2 - Kit (FWD)
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 07:05 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by b-man777
Hey all: This new release by Schumacher got me thinking few things. First what is the appeal of a front wheel drive car? Also Do front we cars handle and or perform better than 4wd ones? Finally is this all just marketing and trying to make a buck on any companies current platform? Thanks...🤔😎🐝
I've been racing front wheel drive for a while (minis and now touring cars). It's a lot of fun. Because you have less traction, the cars are a bit gentler out of the corners, you are less likely to get in trouble so the racing can be really close. They have a much more "scale" driving feel than a point-and-shoot 4wd touring car. The bodies are more scale as well. The cars are not as fast as 4wd.

The only issue I've had with them is that they are very dependent on rear grip, because there is less weight over the rear and no power going through the rear tyres, if the tyres don't hook up, they can be trickier than a 4wd car would be in the same conditions. Normally on a mini you run a soft rear compound tyre but on a 190mm frontie we are usually running the same control tyre on all four corners.