R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reviving electric on road
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 AM
westendorfy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I work with a junior high r/c club and I have heard more than once from some of members that when they went to a local dirt track, that used to exist, they would get yelled at by some of the locals. They weren't being goofy they were just learning and making mistakes. I am not a very good driver and I have gone to tracks to practice and tried to be friendly with some drivers pitting near me. They were extremely arrogant and unfriendly. So , it's not so much the ownership of a track, but it's the guys who think the are pros. I think that's why it's being brought up repeatedly.
Nope. This is just not how it works. I'm sorry. I speak from many many years of racing experience. The "noobs" were doing something wrong if they were "yelled at". NO ONE would "attack" someone for just following the rules or following proper trackside etiquette. NO ONE.

99% of RC folks do not say anything to "noobs" at all UNLESS they are DOING SOMETHING WRONG and need correcting. The regular RC drivers are usually way too involved in practicing, tuning and are trying to not ruin their weekend, race day or monetary investment. Just because someone is new... Doesn't mean that the whole place has to operate at the "noobs" level. This is not a day care. This is a race track.

If a noob wanders into someone's house with muddy shoes on and then takes offense to that someone telling you to get out with your muddy shoes on... Then the problem falls into the noobs responsibility, not the house owners. The noob (or their guardian) have to take some of that responsibility on themselves for not preparing properly or learning the proper etiquette (ie; cleaning your shoes first.).

Here is a common theme.... Example: "Noob" makes a "simple/ honest" mistake because they haven't taken it serious enough to care about it yet. If you are new to racing and dont know that you are not supposed to use reverse after a crash and then reverse your car against the flow of traffic (Just one example).... Dont get mad at the guy that says "Hey get the hell out of the center of the track before you break my car!".

Now I do agree that some people could probably go about it a better way. As yelling or short remarks cant hurt noobs feelings. But again... this is NOT a day care. Most people are speaking or "yelling" with URGENCY because the situation calls for it. Doing even small things incorrectly during a "hot track" can be very dangerous and/or costly.

Sorry if this seems disrespectful or out of line.... but I have seen this "excuse" for over three decades now and I am just so tired of it.