R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth
Thread: Is it worth
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Werty Yui
I've had my Ender 3 Pro going on 1yr and I've never done this. I watched videos on how to do this but I hit the ground running making very good prints out of the box so I never bothered but it's been on my mind since day one. I've wondered if this is more necessary with DYI or kit type printers?

I'll agree with your observations, I think that as long as your first layer sticks good, you'll likey have a good print even if everything else isn't to perfection.
your printer is basically the same as mine just smaller. they are both really inexpensive. for the price im not sure why someone would diy unless they want to tinker. which is fine.

my warning about calibration comes from the fact that steppers notoriously miss steps. the mech and current are all marching in different directions which makes it even more susceptible and the current tuning the factory does is ok but not great. you can try to adjust the current to get the steps perfect but its not necessary. there is a setting for each axis that changes the distance moved for every pulse. print something 200mm long and see if its 200. it wont be. but if you change the parameter for the step/distance ratio by the amount its off it will print at 200mm the next time and probably forever or until something gets mechanically worn.

the extruder steps were quite a bit off which leads to under or overfill but its easy to dial in with the feed parameter.