R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Bad driving vs bad set up, beginner questions
Old 07-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
One thing I have been teaching my 11 yr old is he needs to learn to race the car as it is, even if the set up is rubbish he needs to adapt to finish the race cleanly. Too many people overdrive their cars blame their set up but it's more a case of their inability to adapt. You hand a top driver a poorly set up car he should still be able to finish the race without being a rolling hazard.
I see the magic in this. No doubt its true. I drove with a car for 2 years that required very steady hands and i had to predict a series of problems that would occur based on throttle input and what i was doing. I got allot better from this. Then I stumbled across a setup that felt right and all of those things I learned still came in handy but I didnt need to have a checklist running in my head for everything that could go wrong moment to moment. I climbed my way to middle of the pack and even had some wins. it became fun and i got hooked. there were glorious moments in that early two year period but I couldnt repeat them with any kind of logic. It was pure willpower that got me through the first two years and there were times that I just didnt have the patience. When things started responding in a predictable way I realized this is fun and I can get faster and that it was because i knew how to make adjustments. i dont know if that will cap how fast i will get but Im pretty sure I’ll keep getting faster and wont lose faith in my ability to progress.