R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC Cornering Technique
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Very cool. Ive looked into this a little in the past and it helps to understand things. what I noted over my research is a few things. Cornering is the best place to improve your time. some corners are more important than others so it helps to prioritize corners in terms of importance. the themes to apply to the ranking is starts with a little math and a little common sense. if you come out of a corner faster the improvement grows during acceleration because you start with a higher speed and end with a higher speed (this is number 1). number two is retaining more speed through a corner and this comes from smooth late braking. 3rd priority corners on corners that lead directly into another corner.

you want to be on the edge of traction which means acceleration should cause you to use the whole track on exit. FWD, AWD, and RWD have different properties of traction for a corner. FWD gravitates towards rotating the car late in the apex and AWD is similar depending on the traction bias. RWD does better with early to mid apex and getting the car to rotate earlier.

Im not an expert either just spouting off some stuff that makes sense in hopes that its helpful or someone can refine our understanding. I never fully understood what rotating the car was and it seems obvious now. The rear is going to skid a little at the apex if you are pushing the car. Not drifting but not too far off from it.

if the idea is to get max traction out of all tires in a corner then depending on the chassis and whether you are accelerating or braking you want to maximize rear grip or front grip for the exit first, and entrance second while rotating quickly but not so quickly you spin or go wide mid corner.