R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 AM
PMK
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Hyperform Racing
AE uses bi-directional, not quasi. I know where they get there carbon from and I know the person who cuts them. Nobody that I know of uses quasi in this industry...
As I said I didn't peel the plys away to totally destroy the chassis plate since I plan to repair it. It does seem odd though that with visible plys of 90 and -45 that they wouldn't stack some 0's and 45's in correct sequence to do it proper. But after Going by your info, and what is visible on the edge of my plate, I"m guessing they must be setting more plys 0, 90. And these all must be unidirectional layers.

And by the shape of the chassis perimeter it is somewhat derived for maximum efficency in cutting the most plates from raw stock.

The quasi-isotropic chassis I layed up is extremely rigid,hopefully not beyond some magic point.

In your research for carbon fibre subcontracters, are any having difficulty get raw carbon. It seems the carbon shortage is starting to happen. I got a call from my dad 2000 miles away wanting to know if I had sources for a certain weave his friend needed for a job. My source was dried up for twill also. Some of the composite specific magazines have been thinking this would happen at some point. I wonder where the RC car world will fall on the ladder of importance for carbonfibre.

PK

PK