R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Indoor Track in Sacramento?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM
sacmiata
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I go to LSR quite a bit and I would say if you do it you would pretty much have to do 1/8th scale sized track or maybe carpet to succeed in off road (and people go to Chico for carpet).

Friday night and Sunday are already races at LSR. I would suggest trying Saturdays and maybe a weekday night.

My brother worked at a track behind what was the Campbells soup factory (Sacramento RC? - I forget!) and they directly competed against Capital RC which was 30 minutes away. Capital RC eventually won maybe 3 or 4 years later as they had a better race program and maintained the track better. Capital eventually went out of business probably for a variety of reasons that LSR doesn't have so I would not expect to go head to head with them especially with an outdoor track. LSR is a great track that is well maintained and does a good job keeping enough product in stock without going overkill with alot of parts/kits/money just sitting on shelves that many people just are going to get from AMAIN.

Personally I would say if you have a shop already you might be able to organize on-road racing in the parking lot with basic materials and a timing system and work that out with the landlord. If the parking lot is in decent condition and the landlord would let you run on it I would start there informally as the overhead is minimum for a drivers stand, piping/boards to make the track, and a timing system. Do VTA racing or on-road buggy or sedan racing that doesnt need a perfect asphault finish to be fun. Spray some sugar on the ground and go racing. That is the way SAC RC did it when we ran there and it was mainly practice with some racing. If you get good turnouts see what happens from there.