R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Using old-school kit in the modern era?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Andy_F
Tech Apprentice

Default Using old-school kit in the modern era?

Hey folks. I've recently taken up racing again after 15 years (!) out of the game. I'm using a Losi JRX-S (built brand new when I quit racing, sat in the box ever since!) along with brushed motors & ESC and recently came 3rd in class at my local club with it (17.5, I have motored and geared it to match the speed of the brushless guys for simplicity). Only upgrades to 'modern' kit have been a Savox servo (only because there was too much play in my old one) and a couple of cheap shorty lipo's as I was struggling to lug around the extra weight of a NiMh pack. I'll admit, I get a some satisfaction out of using the old kit and actually not doing too badly with it, I think I get more of a kick out of it than I would using the same gear as everyone else. It also harks back to the older RC era of of my childhood and I have an attachment to the old gear.

One thing I have noticed is fragility when compared to modern cars, it doesn't take a lot to break it - whether this is down to design or aged plastics though is another question. However, I've managed to get a really good supply of spares over the last few weeks and parts are still surprisingly available and very cheap due to being old stock. I'm also hitting far less stuff now since I've began to re-find my old groove so it's becoming less of an issue.

Anyone else out there stuck in the past and doing OK with it? I guess it just goes to show really that a lot of RC design is cyclical and in some cases doesn't make a huge difference.

I'd post a pic but seems my post count isn't high enough to do so.