R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Making your own tires
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Wait, hol' up a min. Rubber doesn't come in 2 parts! I think what you have is a silicone/urethane "rubber" isn't it? Do you really have a 5min working time? Is one of the chemicals a hardener? Can you use less for a longer working time? Can I suggest pouring a bit of part A, then a bit of part B, repeat as necessary for required volume. That way you build up layers and can mix evenly quicker. Or pour both simultaneously/ with a mixing syringe? Basically stir the mixture, don't lift the stirrer out of the mixture no matter what. Only lift it a few mm but always keep it submerged...

But you definitely want mold holes to vent gasses and allow excess rubber to flow through.
yea its a urethane. Im printing up molds with vents as we speak. I just assumed 5 minutes. i guess I really should read the directions. The new molds will have 3mm contact patch depth. The 1mm only needed 20ml of urethane. If I have more than 5 minutes Ill just fill the bottom of the mold before I assemble and set it in the vacuum pot. I wasnt thinking real hard about making this first one perfect. I knew it wouldnt be because the molds are complicated and you find out what doesnt work as you go. The whole thing fits together like a puzzle. All the urethan sits in the bottom of the mold (sidewall). When I screw the center section down it pumps urethane up to the opposite side wall via the contact patch area. I screw the last section on (opposite side wall) and I should get some urethane out the vents. I’ll vacuum it when its sitting in the bottom mold before it gets pumped up to opposite side wall.

Maybe I will vacuum again once its pumped up to the second level.

I put chamfers in the molds so the tire edge will be rounder next time. Not allot but a little. The molds are 90% right now and its just little modifications to make it easier to mold and de-mold in a hurry. Once they work without a hitch and i confirm the right shore urethan to use I’ll probably just get a set made in aluminum. Maybe incorporate a pressure vessel.

There is very little cleanup required after it cures. i figure there would be allot of flash or sprue but 2 minutes with a razor and its done.

This tire is super soft but its only about 36 hours cured. and when i was skipping directions i think I saw something about putting them in the oven on 150 for awhile.