R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Making your own tires
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Marcos.J
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bry195

@ Marcos-no minreg for me. Maybe next year. Making the tire is super easy and quick. Designing the mold is another thing. Ive probably gone through 10 revisions to get to this point. But once its done making tires will be rinse and repeat easy.

@sideways-the color is a dye that is added. I just didnt add any color because I wanted to see through it. The rubber is a 2 part chemical that gets mixed and hardens. Pour it in the mold and the next day you’ve got this. The chemicals are bought according to the finished shore hardness and you can get just about any hardness from gummy bear to boot heel. I havent figured out how to mix and pour in 5 minutes without whipping air in. Its not too much of an issue though because if you put it in a vacuum for a minute the bubbles come out. The issue I had was that all the bubbles jump out of the rubber at once and the mold is sealed. I forgot to put vent holes in the mold so that the mold doesnt explode!

the only articles ive found on the shoulder squareness was dirt racing. They said you get more traction and less turn in but you dont get a warning before you roll over the edge other than a little squirming before its too late.

@gigaplex-good point. I was fixated on the support it provides to the suspension. I forgot about the ballooning.
hmm do i see a test day coming up??