R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent X20
Thread: Serpent X20
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Brian10811
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush

The Mugen did not have a pivot ball front suspension. It had a Micro Caster block design paired up with a hinge pin upper arm. I thought the consensus was it was just not as good on carpet?

Regardless, the Awesomatix, which is arguably the fastest and best TC right now is a pivot ball car. Many argue that in the past the issue was the weight of the suspension system of the cars. Being heavier than the hinge pin cars, this was blamed as the reason for performing worse. With newer design and technology, it seems that the pivot ball cars may now have the edge in the weight department, so if the geometry is right, and we apply the same logic, could we not say pivot ball cars have the potential to be better? The suspension on this car looks simple and lightweight if you ask me.

I will say that the potential durability may be lowered due to the forces of crashes being focused on the threads of the upper and lower outer pivot balls vs a hinge pin, but this is a particular good design in that dept. The threads are moved all the way out, which should make it tougher. It’s a better designed upper arm than the one on the Mi7 at least.

FWIW, I am really liking the direction serpent is going with all their platforms across on road and off road. This car is no exception.
Awesome and thank you for clearing it up. I like seeing all these new platforms and layouts. It is great to see chassis that do not all look the same.