R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Foam vs Rubber Tires
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
RCGaryK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by farls3589
But the world runs foam.
No, the USA runs foam, the rest of the world runs Rubber...

But since handout tires are not practical at the club level foams are a better choice simply because of cost and it saves the agravation of rubber tire choice, insert choice, then trying to mount a tire with little or no sidewall.
No, but having a spec tire for the track for club racing has worked. The track I race at most of the time has Spec-ed CS-27 Premounts for over a year.

Katzer fears foams. Traction is the nemesis of good clean racing!!!!
Gary and I always end up in this argument, and I always end it with this:
The two biggest carpet races IN THE ENTIRE WORLD run foams. Why you ask? because foams make for better racing........
I don't fear foams, I don't like them, pure and simple. I don't like the mess, don't like the expense, among other things. Why does Cleveland run foams...at a Trinity/TRC Sponsored event...Hmmmmmmm. Josh has also had a big influence on the penetration of Foams into carpet racing in sedan as well.

Foams make for more expensive, more discriminatory racing. As an example: Back when the Novak race still had Mod Rubber and no foam....2 Local drivers were able to make the A-Main for 2 years in a row against drivers like BK, Hodge, Toso, Baker, you name it. That has never happened once Mod went to foam. Are these drivers that much worse now? Are the factory guys that much better? Or could it be that the motor and battery war is a bigger factor in FOAM than Rubber, making it MORE EXPENSIVE!