R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rovan 36cc or Zenoah 32cc????????
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 12:39 PM
harry697
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S
I run air filter covers on my g320rc motors.

It might not be worst idea to tear down old motor and see exactly what failed. They are easy to work on, and tearing down bad motor is probably good learning experience. (If you think you might be into modifying them at some point)
I pulled the stock motor apart already. Had a little bit of light scoring on the intake side of the bore. I pulled the motor all the way apart. Split the cases and everything. Did a complete cleanup and reassembled with all new gaskets. Used Hondabond on the new gaskets also.

Once I got it all back together, I bolted it up in the buggy and tried to start it. Compression still feels great, but there is a nasty air leak somewhere. At this point, I'm assuming it's something in the carb. Just tired of messing with it at this point.

I'm not really new to 2-stroke engines. I grew up racing motocross and have rebuilt, tuned, and modded my share of 125 engines. There's just something wrong with this particular engine and I decided to throw in the towel after a $10 gasket kit and several hours of my time. Considering I could have bought a complete new Rovan 36cc engine for around 175 shipped, I figured at this point my time is more valuable than further troubleshooting a cheap Chinese engine.

But I agree with you 100%. Tearing down and messing with a blown engine is definitely good learning experience. Especially if it runs again once you're done. Lol