R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Mini-Z Series
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 PM
mbykerman
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
I don't remember what offsets that body uses, but it should be able to fit a wide front end with a 0 - 1mm front offset. I would go that route, and use a PN medium or firm front tire with a stiffer front spring. Rear tire you can try a super soft, with AWD cars sometimes it can cause rollover when the rear starts to chatter, but on AAA, I think soft should be enough traction. On AWD, I prefer the f-type rear tire 8bet the standard tread, the rounder sidewall and tread pattern promotes more rotation with less chatter.

a little glue on the front sidewall can help if it is still rolling.

I think a 5500kv motor would be better suited to the small track, on AAA cells, I think the 3500 would be too slow.

in general with AWD, chatter is your worst enemy. Reducing causes of chatter can help the car maintain good rotation without rolling. Applying grease to the lower front kingpin and rear upper kingpins with the standard coil over kingpin setup can change how the car handles considerably. If you don't have the rear tires fully taped to the wheels, that could definitely be a contributing factor.

AWD is quite sensitive to tire diameter, especially because both front and rear axles are directly linked. A difference in rollout can between the two changes how it handles considerably, especially because there is no central differential.

When the suspension compresses, do any tires touch the body? This would lead to abrupt traction rolls on hard corners. (Check with front wheels turned as well). The narrow front end will have more sweep of the wheel when turning, which could lead to clearance issues above what the wider kingpin position with lower offset, it also develops more scrub which can lead to rollover. A stiffer front spring would transfer less mess forward and laterally in the front, reducing clearance concerns and front traction off throttle and on the brakes.
Thanks for the help. Ordered some more tires and different offsets of wheels to work with. Also going to try and smooth out the suspension more.