R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
I'm always intrigued as to why chassis flex is important in RC but in full scale racing it's a big deal to get the chassis as stiff as possible. Flex in full scale racing is a bad word and essentially an un-sprung component that makes the vehicle unpredictable and difficult to tune and drive. There's some great mechanical engineering studies for chassis developers online that show how flex has a significant affect on performance by shifting load from the tires doing the work to tires that are not causing slip and understeer. I would see flex as good in something like karts with no suspension but in a typical car shouldn't we allow the suspension to do what it's designed to do? Asking for a friend...

You are not in the car, and anything you "feel" is what your brain is making up in response to what the car does when you work the radio (shows you the power of your mind in a way). Our cars don't have the same shocks or tires like a full size car, along with much less weight and a lot more power. I think all this adds up to forgiving handling being the #1 aspect to making your car work. You need a wide window on setup, especially if you have only average talent, as most of us do. Not to mention, anything more than the most rudimentary data acquisition for rc cars is very rare. The flex is the fudge factor.