R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Spektrum Radio DX6R
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM
TurnNBurn
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nikos2002
TurnNBurn - curious to know what you think we might "update". Open to suggestions for future plans.
Following on Knockoff’s comments, an update to Android might be desired, although I can understand the logistics of wanting to lock down the radio for the purpose of stability. As far as general features, An option to upgrade the battery to higher capacity, maybe (My understanding is that the battery is not replaceable). Anything that would also aid in power savings, not to mention the all important boot time. For example, my TV is Android powered - granted, it is a more limited, focused experience, but the radio could also be, in the sense that you might want to keep the functionality to a focused set of apps - primarily because the OS lockdown could wreak havoc on updated apps. I’m a Sr. QA Test Engineering Professional by trade who has mobile testing experience, so I understand the pitfalls either way, but much like how the TV is designed to be a much more focused experience, so too could the Transmitter. I only say this because as a prospective customer, it diesn’t sound too good when I hear stories about how a race Heat was delayed because one racer had to “reboot” his radio.

Let me get real - I’m coming back to the hobby after 20 years, and I’ve always been a die hard Futaba fan... However, coming back to the hobby, I am amazed at how much technology has progressed! I’m also open to trying new things. That being said, I REALLY want to like this radio; it really calls out to my techie side, but the same gripes about battery life (and the occasional glitch) concern me TBH. This radio is at a great price point, and was a clear push to design something with an “out of the box” mindset. If you can convince people at large that (in my case) a $1,000+ Nitro Touring Car will be safe in a 1 hour main, You’ll earn yourself some clout. Your DX5 series clearly seems to be a hit with the basher/crawler crowd - if you can win over the racers? You guys will be set!

EDIT: Added a little bit above to clarify my thoughts a bit... Also, I’d be remiss nikos2002, if I didn’t mention that I appreciate the fact that someone who appears to represent the brand takes time to monitor forums like this, and like in your case, took the time to request feedback.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.