R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Orion V2 8 X 1 motor
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Spud_J
Tech Initiate

Dragonfire,

24mm/rpm for that wind is about spot on I'd say on a small circuit - works out to around 8.6/1 with normall rubber tyres.

I'd have to slightly disagree with the timing though. Whilst I do prefer running a fair bit of timing and it will make more PEAK power on the dyno with more timing you have to factor a couple of things in.

The first is heat through a race duration and 24 degrees on a wind like and 8x1 is a little excsessive and it shouldnt need it if its geared correctly. Oscar has always suggested we run around 6 - 10 degrees on 7 turns and around 8 - 12 degrees on 8 turns. I do setup our motors with slightly more than that but not as high as 24 degrees (except 12 turns)

The second is where you want the power. High timing and low gearing is suited to very small circuits. Lower timing and taller gearing is suited to longer circuits with sweeping corners

Tuning a motor to a higher timing will increase punch, decrease duration and it will be need to be rebuilt more often - hence you need to run shorter gearing to take advantage of it. It will also decrease the top end potential of the motor because it is setup for high amp draw. When you are at the end of a straight it's usually the point when you are pulling the least current and so this is why it decreases your efficiency.

All that said, electric motor tuning is a trade off and what you gain in one area you will loose in another - its all about maximising the effect of the gain for a given circuit.