R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF419
Thread: Tamiya TRF419
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 PM
rc_square24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
For anyone that is considering swapping to the alloy gear diff case from plastic
it’s only a 2.4 gram difference between the alloy and plastic.

No anyone that has run the alloy did you really notice a difference on the leaking?
And if you did was it with the alloy pulls as well?
as with a day of testing I found my alloy with plastic pulley wasn’t really any better maybe I did something wrong?
In my experience, leakage only happened at the outdrives and not between the case and pulley, whether its plastic or aluminum. Ive tried changing the amount of fluid I fill but they still leaked. Once I changed to xray 972050 orings it stopped the leak. They're a bit larger so has more drag but is leak free.

I think the diameter of the oring recess on the TRF419 diff cases are a bit too large for the Tamiya red orings. Even with the outdrive inserted, the outer edge of the oring just barely touches the wall of the recess. The depth of the recess is also greater than the thickness of the oring, so adding shims won't compress the oring to make a better seal.

IMO the aluminum diff case helps dissipate heat to keep the fluids more consistent and doesn't fix leakage if that's your problem. With the plastic diff cases I always sand the seating surface for the gasket to make sure its flat. The gasket is quite thick so maybe the sanding is not necessary, but I haven't had any leakage in between the case halves.

I ordered some Axon black and clear orings to test if they provide a good seal with less resistance than the xrays. Will report back the results.