R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - wtcc's TT-02 KR
Thread: wtcc's TT-02 KR
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Ill be honest. I never understood the term “pack” when people describe the fluid in a damper. I understand flow, pressure and volume but pack just hasnt turned into a concept that I can think with. I understand the concept of you heave damper but not well enough to say i know which direction the damper rod will move when the chassis lifts of gets closer to the ground.

if force is proportional to the pressure and area of the piston (damper) one side of the piston has less area than the other because of the rod displacement. The side of piston without the rod is called the blind side. In compression for arm damping the fluid travels from rod to blind side and blind side to rod side in rebound.

Is there a spring on your damper? Which direction will compression and rebound be translated through the damper? Are there any concerns of damping force being different in both directions? I believe you can work it out in the field through trial and error. However the rotary and flap damper have the same area on both sides which creates the same damping ratio in compression and rebound which is not something I have seen mentioned by awesomatix. I cant say its good or bad because its different and damping on sprung to unsprung has a rule of thumb of 3:1. Its not a rule rc follows and we have survived. I havent wrapped my mind around the masses that you are looking to control with your heave control.

Rebound displacement should be faster than compression displacement to maintain traction but it gets complicated in your heave system when your flaps look like they will at some point add to the damping in heave. What happens when everything is compressed and goes into rebound.

It might be something to complicated to conceptualize and I’ll just have to wait.