R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ProTek R/C 321B “Samurai” Off-Road 3-Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) [
Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Jwilliams5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAW
Has anyone ever tried these? considerably cheaper than the O.S. variety https://dialedhobbies.com/nitro-engi...14-1615-detail
yes ive tried them. The quality of any knock off of an OS is never up to the specs of an OS. Yes it will drop in an run. But it doesn’t have the power, durability, longevity of a genuine OS product. Lastly the rods are cast aluminum not billet aluminum. If nobody knows what this means... it means that the rods will stretch, deform, an even bend with enough compression. The rods are the most important part of any racing engine.

Its your money, an one can waste it how they want. But I personally wouldn’t skimp when it comes to an engine or engine components. Cause if that rod breaks you just lost a nice block, DLC crank, an possibly the back plate as well. Way more damage than necessary. The prices of OS genuine rebuild kits are cheap compared to a complete engine. An getting 15 or so gallons on a piston rod sleeve set is pretty good I think. That’s how long my last two protek’s have run. I replace front bearing every other gallon or sooner if needed. Original rear bearing. No repinch yet, an isn’t even needed yet. Take good care of your engines an they will serve you for a very long time without complaint.