R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Nats - One lined tracks
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:46 PM
wolf16731
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iplaygames
I've been to a few tracks this year and i keep noticing on these "too perfect" tracks - creating a one line track and as seen makes racing pretty boring and just carnage on passing.

What is everyone's thought on this? Personally rough tracks makes racing so much better, DNC's track usally breaks up a bit and it shows everyone loves this race.
I'm kind of in line with the OP. I've noticed the shared thought of what "separates the good tracks from the bad" is mostly the surface condition. If it is smooth with high bite, people tend to regard it as an excellent track, where the rough tracks where you have to work for traction are regarded as poor tracks. Just what I have noticed from racers that I've been around after I returned to racing this year.

My viewpoint is often quite simple. I had track owners trying to apologize that there were imperfections in the track simply because they know what the majority want, perfection. My response is always and will always be, "I'm sorry, I thought this was offroad racing. Offroad racing is supposed to have those imperfections. Let it rut up a bit and develop some lows and highs in the lane. It makes the drivers work for their position more, think more about their lines and alternative lines, pay attention to their suspension setup to get the balance of jump handling and bump handling. I love it." In my opinion, a track can hardly ever be too blown out for racing, given that the spots that contain hazards that will literally rip the arms and axles off a car are dealt with of course. Remember guys, we are racing offroad where we have the suspension capable of dealing with imperfections for a reason. If you are racing on something as smooth as a paved surface with no imperfections and high grip, whats the difference between setting up some corner cones in a parking lot with some well built jumps in between the corners? Not that I am opposed to a smooth dirt surface, but its nice to mix it up every now and then when the track becomes "less than desirable."