R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Billy Kelly
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave
I don't to be condescendant, but you really should study what is droop and what it does to the car... It can really change your finishing position!
I fully embraced my unorthodox, and unconventional way with racing and practice. The group I raced with the gap was too much for me to realistically close. Two years I did 20 racedays. Only 3 classes so far F1, 17.5TC, USGT. Where the next lowest experienced driver had 15 years of racing. Small group but most started in late 80’s/early 90’s.

I stayed with simplified changes. Pinion/spur combination, shock/diff fluid. Then focus on consistency. I made the early mistake of being focused on speed in straight, but with our layout braking and acceleration were far more important.

For someone just stepping into racing. It’s an info overload, droop, tweak, camber, toe, ride height, FDR,.... Then there’s the opinions on bodies, and there different effects. And haven’t even turned a lap. Then there’s the whole new world of limited lane space( 8 feet seems wide till there’s 5+cars). For those of us that didn’t start on the racing side of hobby, just running in the limited space of a track alone is a big change.

I don’t dismiss the tuning part. Just don’t see it as the first thing to focus on for new people.

Didn’t mean to go off topic