R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How often do you install a new clutch?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 AM
C_Heath
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Races or time?

Im going to say time means practice...
a race clutch will start to show signs of fade in a quarter gallon from all parts being new so I would take them all out and clean and debur all the edges the shoes start to have, a dremel or file works great for this and some fine sand paper is needed to get the black carbon that builds up on the aluminum shoe as residue, also clean the inside of the bell with the sand paper. After that it should feel pretty good again till about half gallon! At that point it’s no longer a good clutch to race with so it would continue life as a complete practice clutch with bearing gone threw and more then likely changed!

continuing from half gallon it’s now a practice clutch, I would continue the system of really cleaning everything every quarter gallon and making sure nothings wearing unevenly and really those carbon shoes may be toast depending on your spring, a lot of times I save aluminum shoes that havnt worn out since carbon shoes go faster because I like stiff springs so I will use them and now have a 4 aluminum shoe clutch at a gallon on, I will also stiffin up springs (if they arnt already stiffer) and try to get to a gallon n a half but that’s stretching it when your running stiffer set ups especially if u start from the beginning with a stiffer set up u probably will only get a gallon. Just make sure you clean and debur your aluminum shoes and sand paper off all the carbon residue that gets on the bell and aluminum shoe.

If your strickly racing, use normal spring rates and sand paper the bell and aluminum shoes more then I said and u will get a better feeling clutch till half gallons up, then pop in some stiffer springs and toss the carbon shoes for either fresh carbon shoes or some simalarly used aluminum shoes. That’s an awesome way to keep a good biting clutch.

Hope this helps.
awesome! Thanks for your time there man.