R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Body Shell Shootout
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Jon Kerr
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by BlackKat
Hey,

Whats the difference between the Stratus 3 carpet/pavement versions and the Stratus 2.

-Dan
Difference between the Strat 3.0 AP and Carpet,
Shape: the AP version does not have the hood dimples, it has a more recessed windshield, and it looks to have a slightly higher crown.

Handling: I haven't run them back to back yet, but the AP version is supposed to give more overall down force, front and rear.

Compared to the Stratus 2.0, both would be much more planted. I never had any real luck with the 2.0. It always felt really loose in the back end, almost like it didn't have enough wing.

BTW- For a novice, as long as they're not running something without a wing, anything that's a competition level body, they won't know the difference. But as most have said, for the experienced racer, it can be used as a fine tuning aid and can get you an extra tenth or two or even three. And when you're racing at a high level, that can be the difference between the A and D main. And yes, I've done body tests with a few bodies and run 5-6 laps, pulled in, had the body changed, and gone back out and noticed a consistent change in lap times and feel of the car. No setup change, not even being able to say it's older tires or different track conditions because it's in the same run. So yes, the small changes in the handling between bodies can be a BIG deal.