R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 SCT 3.0
Thread: TLR 22 SCT 3.0
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM
jmitchell
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Pardon the somewhat-long post, but I am providing info, as well as inquiring info. For those interested in doing the laydown conversion, I came across a video on YouTube, by Vertical Extent RC, and there is a downloadable template, which not only shows where to drill the holes, but also includes a parts list, as well as step-by-step instructions. I did, however, notice some discrepancies in the two parts lists (ie. Frank's, and Vertical Extent's). Here are the two lists, side-by-side:

EXO1752 EXO1752 Aluminum Body Mount Set
TLR232067 TLR232067 3-Gear Laydown Gear Case Set
TLR232068 TLR232068 3-Gear Laydown Motor Plate
TLR231066 TLR231066 Laydown Chassis Brace
TLR234093 TLR234093 Laydown Rear Shock Tower
TLR 234092 TLR332070
TLR233024 TLR233002
TLR233014
TLR232069

As can be seen, the first five parts are the same, but the remaining parts differ. With Frank's list, there is the rear arm set (TLR234092), the 55mm shock shafts (TLR 233024), the shock bodies (TLR 233014), and the Laydown Idler Gear & Shaft (TLR232069). With the list from Vertical Extent, the different parts consist of the Aluminum Laydown Idler Gear & Shaft (TLR332070), and the 50mm shock shafts. It appears that, instead of replacing the rear shock bodies & shafts, Vertical Extent has chosen to stick with the stock shock bodies, and only replace the shock shafts, but with shorter shafts that those included on Frank's list. Additionally, Vertical Extent has opted to go with the aluminum idler gear, as opposed to the plastic idler gear listed in Frank's list. Before I continue, is a clay track environment, is there any advantages/disadvantages in the plastic vs aluminum idler gear? The only other difference I notice is that Vertical Extent has elected to stick with the stock rear arms, while Frank's list includes the Stiffezel rear arms. Again, in relation to racing on a merdium-to-high grip indoor clay track, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using the stock rear arms vs the Stiffezel rear arms?

I'd prefer to not order parts bit-by-bit...if I'm going to go the 22SCT route, with laydown conversion, I'd rather get all my parts ordered together (my AMain cart has everything listed above, plus the 22SCT 3.0 & electronics), so I'm just waiting for 'assistance' before I delete the "unnecessary" parts, and place the order. Thoughts?
I would run the aluminum idler, SCTs are tough on idler gears.
Regarding the arms, the stifzel arms should already have the holes in the front if you want to mount the shocks on the front. But if you stick with your stock arms you can always just drill the holes to mount the shocks forward.