R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of making a return - Miami-Dade
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM
TurnNBurn
Tech Master

Default Thinking of making a return - Miami-Dade

Hello everyone - I’m an old school racer (late 80’s/early 90’s) thinking of returning to the hobby. I’m a veteran of the old 1/10th pan modified class in the FSEARA series from back then, and look back fondly on how popular the class, and how competitive the series was at the time. I’m glad to see that Dave Vera has kept the torch lit all this time. The last time I set foot on a track was at Tropical Park with my Serpent Impulse back around 2000.

Anyway, been seeing a bunch of videos on YouTube, primarily Ryan Harris’ content, and I have to admit that I’ve gotten the itch again... of course, being a family man now, traveling the state to compete in a series is out of the question (at least until my son is old enough - provided he takes interest in the hobby), but I wouldn’t mind club racing as time permits. What is the state of racing down here?

From my own research, it seems that Homestead RC Raceway is the only thing going on down here, and they only run Nitro. Nitro might be an option for me, but I wouldn’t mind running some electric on and off road as well. Are the Mills Pond and Coral Springs tracks in Broward the only ones offering off road racing down here? Is Coral Springs the only track running electric on-road?

Any referrals to good hobby shops down here in SW Dade (or Broward area) would also be appreciated - I’d hate buying online when I can support a local shop. Thanks again and forgive the rambling - also, if you read this far and remember Julio Chacon from the old days of FSEARA, be sure to say Hi! And if 1/10th pan ever makes a comeback, My RC10L is still on standby!