R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a big NASCAR fan but I'm not a big fan of modern day NASCAR schemes on vta cars. Though I can appreciate the fact that some racers do like it and I've seen some fine examples posted in this thread.

Fortunately for me, 386 Raceway in Daytona runs some vta oval. Also, on June 1, Mike Boylan will be hosting some carpet oval racing at the Minnreg facility and it will include some vta action! The next day, the Florida State Series rolls in for road course racing. So, you can run vta oval on Saturday, and vta on a road course on Sunday.

So, I got to thinking....how about a period correct NASCAR scheme for the oval run. So, the result is close to a 1971 Petty scheme on a Cuda of course since he was a Chrysler guy. In 71 he was still in the all Petty Blue....no red with STP sponsorship which came in 72.

So with the help of decals from Carl Seils for the cool 71 grill and the AAR stripes, and mikesdecals.com for the Petty stuff, it turned out to be a fun little build. Also built the chassis to the mid-motor config which seems to work very well on the oval. So, if Richard Petty would have ever put a 71 AAR Cuda on a circle track....this is my take on it.